return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: parasite?!?!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Spiny/Fence Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jasonw at Fri Feb 3 18:19:55 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jasonw ]  

Sounds like mites but with out a picture or better description its hard to say. My method for mite control may not be that of others but here is what I do. 1st of all I do not nor have I had a mite problem since starting this but when I bring wild caughts in they all get it. 1st thing you need to do is quarantine the lizard and keep it away from all your other herps. Put it in a smaller enclosure that is easier to clean Use a paper towel as the substrate. Give it a small water dish that is easier to clean. get a bottle of Ultra Care 8 in 1 mite and lice bird spray Active Ingredients, Pyrethrins and Piperonyl Butoxide, Also get a box of Q tips. Every day Take the individual out of the quarantine enclosure. Dip the Qtip in the Ultra Care and swab infected areas "DO NOT SWAB FACE, HEAD OR VENT" Be sure to get under the limbs and the belly. Place the lizard in shoulder deep luke warm water. While the lizard is soaking toss out the paper towel and clean out the enclosure and water dish. Put in new paper towel. Fill water dish and put the lizard back in the enclosure. I understand your problem may be around the eyes and you CAN NOT use this method in that area but this method may help to prevent a spread or if they do spread it will control them. I also wear latex gloves while doing it as to help not transmit any infections to my collection. A bottle of Natural Hand Sanitizer available at most dollar stores works wanders to keep your hands disinfected as well. DO NOT under any circumstances spray the bottle of Ultra Care on the lizard. It comes in a handy spray bottle and I know it may seem easier but it will kill the lizard. There are other methods that may work better for you and I pray someone posts them as I am not exactly sure what they are. As I said before this method has worked wonders for me and I have observed no adverse side affects of applying the spray with a Q tip. Good luck, keep us informed.
My Research and Collection

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  parasite?!?! - shaymus, Wed Feb 1 17:33:40 2006