return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Thanks for the info,

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Russian & Greek Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Mon Feb 6 09:41:28 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

That is exactly what I was looking for.

We have hatched some turtle and other types of torts eggs. What is confusing is that "Whitening up thing". Consider, I have hatched all sort of repties eggs and on a very consistant basis(for 44years). I have had eggs incubating 24/7, 365 without a break, year-a-round, for 15 strait years. But those dang turtly type eggs can be laid white, or laid clearish, or banded, then turn white later or not and still hatch. Our first clutch of Redears, were brown clearish, all dented up, slimey and full of ants. And every stinking egg hatched. If those eggs were varanid or snake eggs, I would have thrown them out. Tort eggs do not seem as radical, but they too are not so consistant as my normal easy varanid eggs(most people think they are hard to hatch)

I do incubate on the dry side, had problems with some turtles. But so far not a problem with torts. I have a incubator room. And that does make a huge difference.

Direction if hear(heated air) has far more effect on condensation, than degrees of humidity. With incubators, the direction of heated air(top, botton, side) draws condensation in a particular direction. With a room incubator this is highly reduced(mass).

Also, I mentioned to my son, to feed them up, as they both appeared to "want" to produce more clutches. Keeping monitors(the muliti-clutch kings) I have learned to tell which females will. The behavior just before laying and immediately after is important. Both his females continually fed between test digging, and immediately after laying, as well as went right to heat. Females that are not going to have another clutch, tend to have a lesser appeitite and less need for heat. Again thanks for the info.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Golden Greek incubation info - jbly, Sun Feb 5 15:33:03 2006