return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Barry

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Softshell Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: epidemic at Sat Mar 25 01:49:01 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by epidemic ]  

I apologize Barry, as I fail to see your point. However, I do see a bit of dodging the original topic, C. insculpta, by going into a diatribe, attempting to compare apples to oranges. Perhaps you should include some empirical data to back your claim, instead of anecdotal data.
You failed to address the issue of captive husbandry and availability, for which the original question posed and my answer was addressed; is there anyone producing C. insculpta in captivity? Are specimens readily available? Unless you are residing in Southeast Asia or New Guinea, the answer to both questions would undoubtedly be no. I believe such would qualify the species as “rare”. Perhaps you are of a different opinion, but you have yet to produce enough empirical data to sway me from my current camp.
As for the numbers of C. insculpta in the wild. While they are more common than, let us say T. occipitalis, in keeping with our comparison to apples and oranges, do you not find it odd, a species as common as you would have us believe, was unknown of in Australia, by scientist, until 1970?
In answering your question; no, not everything has declined over the past ten years, as the numbers regarding Rhacodactylus spp. have greatly improved, along with several others…

Regards,

Jeff
-----
Jeff Snodgres
University of Arkansas
snodgresjeffreys@uams.edu

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Barry - BarryL, Fri Mar 24 19:13:27 2006