return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Introducing Male AFT

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Fat-tailed Geckos ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: 46chev at Fri Feb 17 13:42:41 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by 46chev ]  

Hi all, I have kept reptiles for a number of years and have owned a female AFT for about four or five months. I just recently got a male AFT and had a question about how to introduce the two into the same cage. The male is a white striped and he is about seven and a half inches long, my female is a standard and is just shy of seven inches long whith regenerated tail. When I introduced them I put the male into the females cage as that was to be there permanent cage. For the first few hours he ignored her and went to a dry hide box and slept. Later that night when they were active (observing them with a red light) I noticed that anytime she came around him or viseversa he would get right at her face and begin to rattle his tail, slow at first and then extremely fast, after that he would hiss three to five short times and would bite her usualy along the nape of the neck or right behind her front legs. I would seperate them withen just a few seconds of this and eventualy had to seperate them into completly different cages. My question is is this normal? Is it just a dominancy thing, I did notice that my female was real submisive and would not try to fight, she would only hiss and try to get away when he'd bite her. Would it be beter to set up a tank for him and leave him by himself in there for a couple of days and then introduce the female into his cage, or should I set up a new tank and put both of them in it right away? I'm just wondering if me putting him into the females tank was the problem or something else. Sorry about the long post any help would be greatly appreciated.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Introducing Male AFT - fattiesNleos, Fri Feb 17 14:01:39 2006
>> Next Message:  some good advice - geckoadvisor, Sun Feb 26 23:19:05 2006