return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: I'm talking to myself.........

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Spotted, Bog & Wood Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: bradtort at Wed Mar 1 10:05:09 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by bradtort ]  

I'll talk to you.

I kept some central american wood turtles for awhile.

I'm assuming that what you were looking at was a Rhinoclemmy subspecies.

There is a good article on their outdoor care on www.tortoise.org

here's an article that covers the main points

www.chelonia.org/Articles/rpulcherrimacare.htm

I think your original post is correct in that many people try to treat turtle/tortoise keeping as something only a purist could do right. I think a turtle's needs are closer to that of diurnal lizards than nocturnal snakes. They need a fuller environment with heat/light on a daily cycle, not a tub in a rack with constant background heat.

So, what do you do?

1) Read up on the species. Find out what kind of environment they need. Decide if you can make the right enclosure for them. My wood turtles were fine animals, but they needed a fairly high humidity, and through trial and error I've found that I can't keep high humidity animals. If I get the humidity right, my herp room develops mold. If I keep humidity down enough to stop the mold, the humid-loving animals go into hiding. Now I stick to desert species, with the exception of my dumpy frog. He's very tolerant and does well with regular misting and a water bowl.

2) If you provide a good environment and provide a varied diet of acceptable foods and appropriate supplements, the turtle will be fine. Yes, it helps if you provide some UV lighting. And even better if you can give them some time outdoors. For my indoor tortoises I provide them a full-spectrum fluorescent bulb from Home Depot that has a little UV output. I sprinkle some d3/calcium powder on their greens, and I also give them some pelleted foods (Mazuri and Pretty Pets) that also have D3 in them. And in warm weather I allow them a few hours of basking time a week. Result, firm shells and even growth.

So find a species that can fit into your own personal environment, make an enclosure that fits their needs, and enjoy. Pay attention to heat/light/hydration. Ornates will thrive on a mixed diet of some greens, fruits, bugs and some pellets.

The biggest problem with leaving them alone for a few days is the poop. They can poop a lot and then walk around in it. Sometimes when I leave for a couple days I shut off the heat lamps on my indoor torts and let them cool out. Temps drop back into the 70s and 80s instead of 80s and 90s. They slow down and don't eat as much. As if a mild cool-front moved in.

For my outdoor torts, I don't worry as much. The sun and rain keep their pens clean enough for the few days I'm gone.

Good luck!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Thank you very much!......... - BobS, Wed Mar 1 12:14:20 2006

<< Previous Message:  I'm talking to myself......... - BobS, Tue Feb 28 22:56:41 2006