return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Don't get mad at me,

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to California Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Sun Feb 26 09:54:23 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

The reason they have this responce is, they are starving. And they were not hibernating. If I were you, I would check the females or ovum, as they may have already cycled.

The problem is, you think your nature, and please forgive me, your not. By difinition, hibernation is a term define what the snake is doing, not what the temps are. My bet is, they were not hibernating and would have fed last week or the week before or the week before that.

ALso Cal kings do not hibernate, at all. Hmmmmmmm before a huge arguement occurs, just go check the range maps of cal kings, and compare that to weather maps. They avoid areas with long periods of cal. YOu know, think of them as californians. They are restricted by elevation, which means, they are restricted by cold temps.

The important part is to understand. If they were hibernating, they would take a little time to "pound food" which is, aggressive feeding. If they are pounding food, when you first bring them up. Then they were already active for some period.

Ok, now to the important part. Seriously. Your like many others, your placing the cart in front of the horse. You define behaviors, feeding, hibernating, etc. By your actions. When in reality, those difinitions are defining the snakes behavior/s.

You think when you lower the temps, thats hibernating, but thats not true. Hibernating is when the snake behaves in a way we call hibernating. You see, these labels are about what the snakes do, not what you tell them to do. In this case, they are telling you, they were ready to feed for some period of time. Only you thought, they were hibernating. Which of course they were not, or they would not be pounding food with such agression.

I hope this helps, if not, don't worry about it and ignore this post. So please don't blame me. I am not the one pounding food(the observed behavior) ok, I am, but thats not the point. Cheers

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Don't get mad at me, - xbertmouser, Sun Feb 26 13:13:57 2006 image in post

<< Previous Message:  cal kings gone wild - xbertmouser, Sun Feb 26 08:55:19 2006 image in post