return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: forest runner

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Lizards - What Kind? ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Spawn at Fri Mar 24 12:33:15 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Spawn ]  

Hello Sanderm:
These guys are tough to keep for any length of time but I'm sure not having the right environment has a lot to do with it. I've discovered that many "Tropical" agamids require very different habitats than they get. I have talked to several people over the years concerning these animals and have tried a few tricks myself. The Butterfly Agama (Leiolepis belliana) digs burrows and therefore is probably an animal that needs dark enclosed quarters to hide in. I think many of the problems suffered by these animals are related to the fact that they really don't have access to a secure hiding spot. Stress is a big killer of both people and animals so the less stress the animal feels the better off it should do.
A burrow can be constructed from PVC pipe or any other materials used for molding. The burrow should be built at an angle to make it easy for the lizard to climb in and out of. It should be built in such a way as to allow easy access to monitor the burrow. Another point to consider is that it is quite possible that the humidity levels inside the burrows can be very high and the lizards may need exposure to that for at least part of the day.
As far as food goes they should eat a variety of insects though they seem partial to mealworms and other grub type things. I have, however, seen them eat crickets as well. They also occasionally eat flowers and on occasion some fruit.
Remember to have lots of cage furniture as this creates lots of places for the lizard to explore thus offering more habitat in a confined space.
I hope this helps. Good Luck!!!
Have A Great Day!!!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Easy Care? - CharStuff, Tue Mar 21 13:41:53 2006
<< Previous topic:  help! - sw20mr2drvr, Mon Mar 6 06:36:56 2006