return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Skinny female/eating

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Anoles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Abukuchick at Wed Mar 22 16:13:43 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Abukuchick ]  

We've found something else she'll eat, pinhead crickets. We've been trying to feed her lots of flies, but our viles are empty and the store doesn't have any with actual flies! Now we have to wait for the wormy maggot things to turn into flies to be able to feed her those. She did almost eat a waxworm the other day, but she spit it out (I think it was too big). Is there anything else small she might like? We should be able to catch some house flies soon, I'll try those when we get some.

We spray the worms with vitamins, but the flies and pinheads are difficult to spray as I can only dump them out of their enclosures into the tank, otherwise they escape. The pinheads to have 2 different foods (one is fluker's orange cubes, the other is a dry mix used by our local reptile experts) and water gel with calcium, so hopefully that'll be good for her too.

She is still wasting away and I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't make it in the long run. The male is doing wonderful, nice and fat and eating everything. Hopefully we can give her enough pinheads to keep her from losing any more weight until we can get her eating larger crickets or some type of worm.

She has been hanging out on the bottom of the tank on top of the undertank heater. Is this normal or odd behavior? She tends to stay under the lighted area, but moves to hide herself under some leaves. I know that they are arboreal and prefer high places, so why doesn't she? Could she be too weak from lack of food to hold herself on the vines, or maybe she just likes to have a warm belly? These lizards are nuts!

Oh yeah, the male showed his dewlap for the first time a few days ago. He seemed to direct it at me, what does that mean? The next day he did it near the female (still looking at me) and she did it herself and then ran away! He did it once more in a plant, possibly at me again. I feel bad that I freak him out so much!

-Martha

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  She ate a worm! - Abukuchick, Wed Mar 22 21:55:51 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: She ate SOMETHING! - jasonw, Tue Mar 21 18:32:15 2006