return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: That box turtle looks like its been

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mud & Musk Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHRatz at Tue Apr 4 10:16:53 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHRatz ]  

Good for you for saving a mud from fire ants. Although fire ants are in our region we are very lucky that they aren't anywhere around our house...yet.
I hope they never are. I've heard all sorts of horror stories about what they can do. They need to die!

Chip was brought to me at the end of Oct. 2005, if this hadn't happened to him he would've been underground for the winter in another week. The story I got is that a cat rescuer found him in her backyard where she has 3 or 4 large dogs. The woman took him to her vet and that's a vet who doesn't treat turtles. His whole plastron was broken & part of it was missing. One piece was dangling off of him, it looked like a tortilla chip.. that's how he got the name Chip.
I know 2 people who work for the vet who doesn't treat reptiles so they called me & asked if I'd take him. It was a Friday night so we cleaned him up & started to try to put him back together the next day but he began to smell really bad, he was infected. Monday he saw my herp vet & got bandaged up for a week while he took antibiotics, then on Halloween he went in the hospital & was put back together. He was wild but now he's a spoiled brat.
Shell E was dog chewed but not nearly as bad off as Chip. Shell E took 2 years to heal, Chip's vet thinks it will likely take 3 years if not more for him to heal.
If you want to see all the photos of Chip you can click the link at the bottom.
The CB western painted is the only turtle or tortoise I have that I paid money for & brought home on purpose. The rest just happened.
They all saw that sucker tattoo on my forehead. lol
I love it when they make it. It's a challenge for me to rehab them, I like the challenge.
Pet Hobbyist Photo Gallery

-----
PHRatz

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: That box turtle looks like its been - mayday, Tue Apr 4 23:15:12 2006

<< Previous Message:  That box turtle looks like its been - mayday, Mon Apr 3 21:37:39 2006