return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: That box turtle looks like its been

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mud & Musk Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHRatz at Wed Apr 5 10:00:44 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHRatz ]  

>>Those turtles sure are fortunate to be alive. Like I said before, nice save(s). I would be like you in that I would pay to have them repaired.

The cool thing about my vet is that she charges a minimal fee for a wild animal like Chip. To have him repaired I paid for the medications & supplies only. She didn't charge me for her time spent putting him back together so it wasn't a huge amount of money out of my pocket to have him treated. If I hadn't kept him she would have kept him herself. She's a sucker for an injured wild animal and especially a turtle, she's a big turtle/tortoise lover.
>>
>> Hard for me to say about male/female boldness. My captive raised female mud turtles are as fearless as can be and will literally swim on their backs if they think I will feed them. But then again, they never offer to bite when held and yet my males will happily bite when annoyed.

Scooter is fearless with me but not with strangers, the others are sort of fearful around strangers but not as much as Scooter is.

If I bring Scooter a favorite food item she(?) lol will jump up & down like a little kid for it & will take food from my hand too. There's no fear of me after being here for 10 years but around strangers that head is in hiding. Try to bite me or anyone? It's never happened. We can't get that mouth open for nothin' lol.

Scooter got sick in 1998 with parasites & some sort of what the vet thought was a gouty condition, there were some sort of urinary stones that showed up on the x-ray. Scooter had to take medication for a couple of weeks & let me tell you getting that mouth open was a very difficult task.
With box turtles I've often been able to make them open up a mouth for me without much provocation, if that doesn't work I have no problem doing it myself even if I have to pry their mouths open, but with Scooter it took two people to get that mouth open to put medicine in.
That was a really difficult chore!

I guess instead of the word docile I should have used the word timid. My females are more timid, the males strut around like they are king of the Earth, even Chip behaves that way now that he's feeling well again.
I feel like I am not doing a good job of explaining what I mean when I say the males are more brave.... I think it's the strutting the males do that's so different from the females, Scooter doesn't do the strut.
-----
PHRatz

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: That box turtle looks like its been - LizardCane, Sat Jun 17 13:11:27 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: That box turtle looks like its been - mayday, Tue Apr 4 23:15:12 2006