return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

My Baby Cali King

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to California Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Cali_King at Tue Apr 4 11:11:43 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Cali_King ]  

CLICK ON IMAGES TO MAKE THEM BIGGER

Greetings everyone.

I am new to this forum and have been browsing online forums recently to get new and valuable info on how to better care for my baby cali king. He is about 5 months old and I got him as a baby. Basically I wanted to share some differences about my baby king that I find to be out-of-sync to behavior attributes of a typical king. I just wanted to get some feedback on why my king behave differently.

1) I've read on several different forums that Cali Kings enjoy water and will often soak in water esp. when they are ready to shed. But my king seems to be a reincarnated cat because he HATES water. In five months time I have NEVER seen him voluntarily dip himself inside of water. In fact, a couple of times I've had to soak him in some water because he hadn't shed properly. He became a mad man! He was thrashing around and going nuts. He musked in the water and pooped! He tries like hell to get out of the water. Is this unusual for a king?

2) Most people say that kingsnakes--and baby kings in particular--are very nippy but I must say with extreme proudness that not once since i've had my king, has he tried to bite me. He has never ever even attempted to bite me, even when he's really pissed. The most he will due is musk me and on extreme occassions poop, but he's never attempted to bite me, not even when I first got him. He is very sweet and extremely friendly. As silly as it sounds, I forced him to bite me one time because I became concerned that maybe something was wrong. I got his mouth open and got him to bite my finger but he let go after a few seconds. The bite didn't hurt at all and he didn't even break skin. He did try to bite me once when I let him roam free in my dining room and I cornered him against a wall. He formed into the classic "S" shape and vibrated his tail and he striked but that was the one and only time. Is my kings unwillingness to bite a unique case or quite common?

3) My king is very smart. He recognizes my face and tends to stare me down and look me directly in the eyes. I think its the cutest thing in the world. He will just curl up in my hand and let his face hang over the edge my hand slightly and just stare at my face. And he likes to slither off my hand and crawl over my face too. Another weird thing is he often will get aggrivated if I try to pet him with my hand but if I rub him against my face or kiss him he won't ever flinch. He never lets anything get too close to his face but if I approch him with my lips he won't budge. Strange huh?

4) My king became relatively tame very fast. After trying to flee like crazy when I first got him he never tried to get away like that again. He usually won't even run anymore when I try to take him out his cage. And more often then not I can get him to stay curled up in my hand for well over 30 minutes. Then he starts to get fiesty and wants to get away so I'll put him back in his cage. Again, is this normal for a baby?

5) My biggest concern was why my king hadn't really grown since i've gotten him but I think I solved that. I've been feeding him pinkies all this time why he definitely has outgrown them. It got to the point where he was eating THREE at a time. So I went to Petco and got one fuzzy to try it out. This fuzzy was enormous and I didn't think he could eat it but low and behold he sure did. I bought three more pinkies this past weekend and fed him one last night. These pinkies are smaller than the first one I got and seem more managable. He ate it with no problem. Hopefully he will start to grow.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Anyone from S. Cali? - William_A, Wed Apr 5 08:09:00 2006
<< Previous topic:  It's That Time of Year;!!!!!!!!!!!!! - rbichler, Tue Apr 4 01:09:09 2006