return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: That is probably a gurrrl.......

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mud & Musk Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHRatz at Sat Apr 8 11:46:08 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHRatz ]  

>> On second thought I think Scooter must be a girlie turtle. I checked all the photos I could of male yellow muds and they all have those big, prehensile tails that look like fingers. That is what most, if not all of the Kinosternid males have.
>> I think that I got stumped from the photo since the tail looks larger than all of the red cheeked, white lipped and scorpion mud turtle females that I have had experience with.

And this morning I did a web search to look for photos.. didn't find much so I wonder where did you find male photos? I'd love to see some!
I did find the David Kirkpatrick mud/musk article that's been on the web for years & years.
I read the yellow mud portion of his article & he did state that in yellow muds the females often DO have that spike on the end of the tail same as males. He also stated that in some males you'll see the concave plastron as you'd see in so many other species or turtles and tortoise.
Scooter's plastron is as flat as our female sulcata's is. Totally flat no hint at all of concavity. Our male box has enough concavity that you can tell he's male, our Chip had a concave plastron but doesn't now. Once he's healed & the acrylic is removed well..who knows if it will be concave again.
Our female box turtles all have extremely flat plastrons too like Scooter. Our male western painted has only a hint of concavity.. but if you look really hard it is there.

Really the tail you see in that Scooter photo is it, the whole thing. I've tried to pull it away from the body, Scooter pulls it up against his/her behind every time & then it's so short & stubby that I can't grab hold of it when it's pulled up like that.
I know it looks fat but it's short & the only reason I was able to get that shot is because I gave Scooter a bug to eat. Scooter forgot to hide the tail when food was around lol.
Still I will keep trying for a better shot & if I manage to get one I'll post it.
Thanks again for all your input this has been very interesting for me either way.
-----
PHRatz

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  It always makes me scratch my head - mayday, Sat Apr 8 13:33:40 2006 image in post

<< Previous Message:  That is probably a gurrrl....... - mayday, Sat Apr 8 10:17:08 2006