return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Male found a way into the fluorescent

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Lacertids ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: roger van couwen at Sat Apr 15 16:24:36 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by roger van couwen ]  

fixture. I was dumbfounded. He had disappeared. But he had no chance to get away. I was crushed. Then one day, there he was! Then disappeared again. Finally I saw him scrabble through a space at the end of the fixture. The female didn't yet have voluntary extended hiding, so I got some ABS pipe and hot melt glued it to the floor then snapped it off, so the pipe does not roll around. I slide in a few leaves of newspaper so she's not just skittering around in there.

She got a real bad infection that progressed way faster than I was used to. I'm used to large lizard and slow progression. She had a full body stench. The lab found three virulent bacteria that are very sensitive to Baytril. Every other day I medicate them both with 0.2 of 0.1 ml. Baytril. That's 0.02. Tiny. Every day I have to hydrate her twice with 0.3 ml water, and feed her once with 0.3 ml of some smooth meat-based food the vet gave me, whatever cricks she will accept from me. I modified the tips of some one-ml syringes to make forcing an easy one-man job. But all that attention and handling must be stressing the hell out of her. Once she gets a Clear from the vet, I'm going to leave her alone completely except for offering her crickets from a long hand-made bamboo tweezer.

She hunts like crazy, but has *zero* luck even when I flood the habitat with new 3/8 crickets; she runs up to them and they bounce away. Once in a while she'll take a tweezered one from me. I need a much longer tweezer. I need to spend the time to de-leg a couple dozen crickets so she can get some hunting confidence. The male has better luck hunting, and knows how to drink from a saucer. I've never seen the female drink.

The sheds are there, they are just so wispy that I didn't see them before. The male is quite plump and strong, and now the female is recovered enough to make it hard for me to catch her, and her lateral folds are gone. Catch her from above is wrong I know.

I never have approved of glass tanks and here I am using one. I should build a wood habitat with front-opening doors. I will. A couple of months ago I ditched a 5' wide X 3' deep X 5' tall Ctenosaurus pectinata habitat because I didn't believe I could disinfect it well enough. It took about four hours to build another one, disassemble it and reassemble it in the herp room. It will be much easier to build this small one.

Well anyway, thanks for your time,

Roger

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereMale found a way into the fluorescent - roger van couwen, Sat Apr 15 16:24:36 2006

>> Next topic:  info on fringed finger lizards - nickpurvis, Sun Apr 23 21:30:56 2006
<< Previous topic:  long-tailed lizard concern - hadeal, Tue Apr 11 18:28:57 2006