return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Sick Cali

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to California Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: _Wraith_ at Tue Apr 25 16:22:53 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by _Wraith_ ]  

Hi All

I am looking for some help, thoughts, insight.......anything!

About 3 weeks ago, I noticed my 3 year old cali hadn't moved in a couple days (which is unheard of for him....even during shed). I took him out of his enclosure to check on him and found that he had very little strength in the lower 3/4 of his body, he was very alert and the top quarter of his body was still active. So off to the vet we went.

About 1 week into all this, he developed a blister about the size of a dime on his belly and was treated with polysporin and has since healed. So far, he has had blood tests, a fecal sample was checked and an x-ray was done but nothing was found. Well, I shouldn't say nothing. His white blood cell count is high. As for a cause, we are stumped. There is no sign of infection, no internal or external parasites and no sign of trauma to his spine.

He is still eating well (very well) and has gone through a shed (with help because of not being able to move all of his body). His enclosure ambient air temperature has been increased to about 92c and I am giving him 0.040ml injections of Amikacin every 3 days.

At this point, my vet feels that it may be some form of neuromuscular paralysis which is not good but with a lot of care he can continue to live, for the most part, a somewhat normal life or that it may be an autoimmune disease which means he will probably continue to get worse.

Has anybody ever seen or heard of anything like this before?

Wraith

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereSick Cali - _Wraith_, Tue Apr 25 16:22:53 2006

>> Next topic:  Egg laying Machine!!!!!! - rbichler, Fri Jun 2 21:31:43 2006
<< Previous topic:  Biting and Breeding? - 4snakes, Wed Apr 5 21:27:27 2006