return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

so far

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Clawed Frogs/Surinam Toads ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: kxi at Sat May 20 03:00:22 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kxi ]  

since i posted awhile ago i have it set up with two dwarf frogs, a growing population of ten cent feeder guppies, and a few species of aquatic plants. i did mean a planted aquarium, not terrarium, i just like the look and effect of plants, in land, water, whatever. in my experiences so far though, a terrarium would have been a great deal easier, and one that small can be pimped out easily, i know from the past tenants of the tank.
anyway,i let it cycle for a week with 50 cents of guppies before i did a water test and added plants. then i bought two dwarf frogs and two panda cory cats. the cory cats died ( as did the others from the shipment i got them from) after a few days but the frogs are doing great. theyre a trip, even though theyre some of the dumbest animals iv ever seen. the fifty cents worth of feeder guppies i got can find theyre food, as can theyre babies, but the 4 bucks in frog cant find anything. they just get excited when they smell the bloodworms and start trying to eat the gravel and plants, lucky the gravels too big.
anyway on my 5.5 gallon i have a whisper 20 (i think) its a pretty nice filter, its for 5-20 gallons but i have the current turned down pretty low since its suck a small tank. i use stress zyme to lessen the filters load, stress coat to dechlorinate, and do 1/3 percent water changes at least once a week, with a gravel syphon, to be sure that excess food and waste wont foul the water. im worried because its such a small tank and the fish breed so much, and the frozen bloodworms are sooo messy, although so far my ph and ammonia tests have come up near flawless, cept for the first week when cycling made my ammonia fluctuate a bit. im thinking about trading all the adult feeder guppies in for some fancy guppies, or maybe some hatchets or something, though i dont know if they fare well in that environment. i might even see if i cant track down a healthy cory cat or two, so help clean the gravel.
sorry for such a long post, i just want to share my experiences with one of the smallest and simplest planted herp setups

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: planted tank for adf's - tdk, Thu May 11 07:16:42 2006