return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Need help with Yellowfoot!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Red & Yellow Foot Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: spider_girl at Tue May 2 16:05:02 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by spider_girl ]  

Hi all,

I haven't been here before, but I was hoping someone could help me with a big problem??

I recently received two adult yellowfoot torts from Suriname. The male is doing great, eating fine, been treated for parasites etc. The female, on the other hand, has yet to eat/drink/defecate, etc. She weighed 7.6 # on arriving, and now is down to 6.8 lbs. She arrived with white mucous in her eyes. The Vet thought maybe she was stressed and prone to infection or maybe had a RI or something similar, so we started a regiman of Baytril inj. She has one more dose and does not seem to be improving at all.

I have been putting eye drops in her eyes every day per Dr. (Alternate between saline and Vit K.) Her eyes actually seem clearer, but now have tried white stuff around the edges. (Dried mucous??)

I soak her in warm water for about 1-2 hours daily. She is provided with a tub of fresh water (which she can climb in and out of) and I change the bowl of food out about every 6 hours. (To keep it fresh) I have tried enticing her with bananas, strawbwerries, melons, greens, all sorts of veggies, earthworms, etc. to no avail. She is outside during the day (Sunlight/shade/humid hide/heat lamp/food/water/and temps int he mid 80's) and is brought in at night because of cool nighttime temps. She is kept in a LARGE storage container filled with a sandy substrate. (The guy a got her from thought she was gravid and my fiance though we should give her room to dig, just in case.)

She has started putting her head straight up and as far as it will come out and then rest it on the wall. I have never seen this behavior. (It's part of the reason for the anti-biotics. Pneumonia?) She is alert, (will hide her head if bothered too much.) seems curious, but doesn't move much, unless she is looking for her hide.

She is drastically losing weight, was given Panacur twice before I got her, has been on anti-biotics, to the vet multiple times and nothing is improving. Please does anyone have any suggestions???? I really don't want to lose her! Sorry this is so long and I really appreciate your help!!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Need help with Yellowfoot!! - spider_girl, Tue May 2 16:51:03 2006
<< Previous topic:  Opuntia Cactus for Redfoots?? - montorta, Sat Apr 29 22:45:12 2006