return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: how to make a tank ?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Amphibians - General Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: otis07 at Sun May 7 19:39:44 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by otis07 ]  

i have done a bunch of tanks like this and it works great and looks really natural. heres an article i wrote:
False-bottom vivarium

The term “false bottom” is what it says, it is an arrangement of a unseen level to provide drainage. There are many ways to make a false bottom tank, one way and perhaps the simplest way is to use PVC piping and egg crate. First of all you will need a clean glass tank. Then get PVC piping, egg crate, mesh screen, and black silicone. You can purchase these at most home improvement stores.

Step one: The first thing you want to do is put 3-4 inches of black silicone around the base of the tank. This is to hide the PVC. Let this sit for 24-36 hours before doing anything else.

Step two: The next step is to put the PVC in. The diameter of the PVC depends on the size tank you are building and what you plan to do with it. Cut the piping so it is between one and three inches high (most of the time they will do this for you at the place where you bought it) and silicone them to the bottom of the tank with clear silicone.

Step three: After the PVC is in place you put the egg crate over it. If you want to have a water area then have the PVC gradually get smaller to make a slope leading to the water area. Then if you plan to make a waterfall insert the pump closest to where the water will be. It is important to put the tubing of the pump through the egg crate so it is visible. If you have sloped the PVC for a water area then slope the egg crate there too.

Step four: Then put screen over everything. This is to prevent substrate such as dirt from clogging the pump.

Step five: You have the basic foundation laid out, now you just need to add substrate, plants and herps. My suggestion for the first layer of substrate is to use either large river rocks or pebbles, on top of this put either moss or dirt. Live moss is the best to use because it does not deteriorate like dirt and does not mold. It also will not get caught in the pump. Then put all the décor in as needed. If you had done a pump put the plastic tubing through the substrate(s) where you plan to have the water come out of.

thats for the bottom, if you want to have a dirt/driftwood background you need to:

go to home depot of something and get this insulating stuff called great stuff. spray that on the back of the tank. make sure to wear gloves cause the first time i did it my fingers were sticky for a week (literally). when doing this put in on it's back and put the driftwood and plant holders in place and spray around them. the next step is to put dirt on, to do this you need GE black silicone II. smear this all over the back. do it in small proportions and put DRY dirt on the back as you do it. work your way up. depending on where you want the water to come out get a PVC for the cord and put in through in the corner and cover it with great stuff. for the pump tell me where you are putting it and i will tell you how to do it. after that wait like 24-36 hours until the smell is gone and put the plants, substrate, other decor... make sure the water fall and everything else is working. then put the frogs in.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: how to make a tank ? - otis07, Sun May 7 19:41:10 2006 image in post

<< Previous Message:  how to make a tank ? - cornboy, Sun May 7 12:07:21 2006