return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: New Turtle Mom

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Painted Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: nohtyp at Thu May 25 12:31:18 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by nohtyp ]  

Respectfully, I couldn’t agree less with regards to hatchlings. A smaller tank allows you to more easily monitor the conditions the turtle is kept in. Things such as food intake, and temperatures, etc are all easier to monitor in a smaller tank. You simply cannot recreate the wild in a glass tank. A hatchling turtle in the wild utilizes a specific subset of the larger environment. They look for places that offer shelter from predators and an abundance of food. In most cases this is found along the margins of a large body of water in a marshy or swampy section for instance, not in deep water. These micro habitats are usually teeming with food that a hatchling can easily find and capture.

You can’t recreate that, even in a 1000 gallon aquarium and it would be pointless to try. As a tank for an adult turtle, it’s great, but it really doesn’t help with the husbandry requirements for an animal the size of a quarter. How do you insure it finds and eats enough for instance? In a small tank it’s easy enough to see how much they have eaten, but in a larger tank uneaten food just gets lost.

I keep hatchling painted, and other species of turtle, in 5 or 10 gallon tanks with water that’s deep enough for them to reach the surface if they stretch on their hind legs. I’ve done this for years and when moving them to larger tanks as they grow, I’ve never had a turtle forget how to swim.

I think for adults, a large tank is an absolute must, but for a hatchling it’s overkill and counterproductive for taking care of it’s needs.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: New Turtle Mom - IllIlllIllIlIlIl, Sun May 28 16:26:39 2006 image in post

<< Previous Message:  RE: New Turtle Mom - IllIlllIllIlIlIl, Tue May 23 18:30:08 2006