return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: redffot behavior

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Red & Yellow Foot Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: drtom at Mon Jun 5 16:26:06 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by drtom ]  

I think what you are describing is perfectly normal. I've had redfoots for over 24 years and at first, meaning the first year or two, they can be quite shy. As long as they seem to be eating and gaining weight I wouldn't worry. My current two guys(?) are a year old and some days they will sleep in the entire day but if you look in their hide they are wide awake and watching. They do not like bright light and I rarely see them use a basking light unless its too cold and then they use it for warmth but if the room is warm enought mine never go under the light. The often come out to eat in the eve in dim lighting.
As far as more than one everyone has a different opinion. My guys (?) are best buddies. If one comes out to feed the other comes out right behind him. I have two hides in the enclosure and if one goes in to sleep the other will look in a hide and if he doesn't find his buddy he will exit and go across the enclosure to look in the other hide. Then if he finds him he will settle in. They have been together most of their lives.
Tom

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  redffot behavior - derrdiggs, Sun Jun 4 22:23:32 2006