return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

MI Press: Water snakes

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Water Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: W von Papineäu at Sat Jun 24 12:23:51 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by W von Papineäu ]  

PETOSKEY NEWS-REVIEW (Michigan) 21 June 06 Water snakes (Jeremy McBain)
This week's Nature Notebook column is in response to a question I received from a reader on water snakes.
Reader Nancy Yoder wrote June 9: “I read your article in Petoskey News-Review about snakes and I have another question for you. We live on Iduna Lane which is on east side of Round Lake which is between Petoskey and Harbor. Again this year we have a water snake which we are curious about. He/she shows up every spring in the water and is nested around some rocks along the shoreline. We have also seen it on the shoreline. What kind of snake does Northern Michigan have that swims in water? A few years ago we bought a snake book but couldn't find anything that talked about northern water snakes. Do you have any knowledge?”
After a little research, I believe I have found an answer for Nancy.
I spoke with Lori Sargent, wildlife biologist for the Michigan Department of Natural Resources who said most snakes do spend some time in or near the water. Massasauga rattlesnakes will spend the winter submerged in a pond and a lot of snakes will use water to help them regulate their body temperature.
But, Northern Michigan - as well as the state of Michigan - does have a well-known water snake called, strangely enough, the northern water snake.
This nondescript common snake is dark, almost black, in color and gets about 2 feet long. They sometimes have brownish or blackish bands on their body with a white belly that also has reddish half moon markings. They love spending their time in and near water and can often be seen sunning themselves during the day on a rock or log in a lake or pond.
The Animal Diversity Web said these snakes like still waters and may, at times, be found on the land. However, they are never very far from their beloved water.
These snakes are also wrongly thought to be venomous because of its ferocity. This little snake is not venomous, but it will attack aggressively and has a painful bite.
Sargent said the snake will avoid humans if possible and usually only bites if it is picked up. Generally, if a human comes across them they will swim away or dive below the surface and anchor themselves to a log or plants. They can stay under for about an hour and a half, but generally only stay down for about 5 minutes.
However, while this snake will usually run away, Sargent said the northern water snake is more aggressive than the massasauga rattlesnake - Michigan's only venomous snake.
The Animal Diversity Web says, “When confronted, northern water snakes flatten their bodies and jaws and begin to strike and bite ferociously. They also release a foul-smelling musk and may defecate to discourage predators. When extremely agitated they will also regurgitate their last meal.”
Being bitten and vomited on by anything other than my 2-year-old daughter would definitely deter me from picking it up.
These snakes prey on frogs, fish, insects, other snakes, turtles, birds and mice. The Animal Diversity Web also said they have been known to herd schools of fish or tadpoles to the edge of bodies of water where the snake can feast on many of them at once.
These snakes swallow their prey whole and alive, they are not constrictors and, as stated before, do not have venom to kill their food.
This information kind of makes me glad I am not a mouse living near Round Lake.
For more information on the northern water snake, visit the Animal Diversity Web at animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/index.html or www.michigan.gov/dnr.
Water snakes

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]