return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Just rescued a russian, funny story...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Russian & Greek Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: -ryan- at Mon Jun 26 14:36:41 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by -ryan- ]  

So I already have one russian tortoise a CB that is probably about a year old now and presumably male. Still a very little guy My dad is really into tortoises, so he was talking to a friend of his that works at a petco, who said that there was someone that came in with a russian tortoise that they didn't want anymore, and we got the number, name etc.

So after a couple tries, we got in touch with these people, and my parents went over to pick up the tortoise. We were originally told that we would be getting the tortoise and everything else they had for it already, but when they got there, they were met with a man and a woman, and a female russian tortoise of about 5.5-6" shell length. They were giving us no cage, no nothing, except for some dried tortoise diet (which I don't use) and some sandfire 'tortoise dust', which I also have not yet used. They were told that the tortoise was a finicky eater and would only eat pellets and fruit. Jeez, it sure was a suprise then that she came home to eat a whole plate of fresh collared and dandelion greens (and she eats at least 1-2 plates of it everyday now, since we've had her about a week). We get the feeling the people that had her before us just didn't want to bother doing the research to figure out what's good for the little girl.

So for now she's in a 40 gallon tank, which is way too small, but we suspect it is much larger than what she was in before. We are going to build her a custom enclosure like we did for the other tortoise (and my lizards), and so far she is doing very well. She's eating and basking everyday, and she is always out (I suspect that her past owners never gave her an appropriate hiding spot).

So I just find this funny, because I have no idea why people would be so quick to lose interest in such a great pet, especially when she is in such apparently good condition.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  ahh... the birth of a new rehabber n/p - EJ, Mon Jun 26 23:16:17 2006