return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: 10 gallon tank - semi aquatic...ideas??

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Amphibians - General Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ksbear at Wed Jul 5 14:54:28 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ksbear ]  

It probably depends on how warm/cool you keep your home, but I think you probably can't go wrong with Oriental Fire Bellied Toads. They can be kept in a semi-aquatic tank or a fully aquatic set up if you provide a floating feature. They're fairly active during the day and may learn to take food from a small stick or even your fingers. They produce a toxin but it's mild, and as long as you don't stick your fingers in your eyes or mouth before you wash your hands, you'd be fine. You don't handle most amphibians much anyway, so I don't think it's much of a problem.

If you prefer to go the semi aquatic route and you want to mix species, you can usually keep fb toads with green tree frogs. They're more nocturnal and don't get in the water, so they don't occupy the exact same niche as the fire bellies. Instead, they hang out near the top of the tank or on vertically oriented plants. Here in northwest Florida, gt frogs are easily obtained from the wild, but you see them in pet stores, too. I've raised mine from tadpoles that were hatched in an unused pool. Right now all but 1 have turned into little froglets (and the last one is about to "graduate" soon), and once everyone is big enough, I plan to add at least one fb toad depending on how many of the tree frogs I keep. I think my 10 gallon tank would be fine for two of each.

Here's my set up: The land area is small river rock gravel piled up on one side with sphagnum and green moss on top. Some pothos and sword plants are in the gravel, and in the water area, which is about 2 inches deep, are some pots of "bog" plants, as well as some anacharis (sp?) that just floats around. I've added some decorative rocks and wood that are safe for aquarium use, and the whole thing looks really cool. The water is maintained with a Tetra Whisper 10i filter, and on top of the hinged screen is a very low level UVB florescent strip light that's on for 12 hours. There's no other heat source. The air temp during the day is around 80 degrees F, with a night drop of 5 to 8 degrees, and the water runs a few degrees cooler than the air temp.

I've heard of people even keeping green anoles in a tank with green tree frogs and fire bellied toads, but I haven't gone this route so far. I'm having a hard enough time trapping the tiny flies the tiny frogs need. I think I need a fruit fly breeding kit.

You could do some newts instead of frogs, but some species of newts need cooler temps and get stressed if it gets hotter than about 80 degrees F, so you'd want to look into this if you live in a warm climate. I have 2 fire bellied newts and had planned to put them in with the tree frogs, but have decided against it due to the warmer needs of the frogs. The newts now will stay in their own tank in one of my bathrooms, where I can keep their water around 70 degrees.

I'm sure there are tons of other options for you, but this has been a nice set up for me so I thought I'd share.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  10 gallon tank - semi aquatic...ideas?? - anj109, Thu Jun 29 20:07:30 2006