return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Rosy Boa questions.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rosy Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: aliceinwl at Mon Jul 10 00:40:10 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by aliceinwl ]  

That cage should work fine. The glass tanks with the sliding screen tops also work fine. I started my babies out in 10 gallon size tanks, but since mine are the larger coastals, I moved them into 15 gallons as they got close to adult size.

I purchased my rosys from ads that posted in the Kingsnake classifieds. Most rosys give birth in the late summer to early fall. So, starting around late August you'll see a lot more available as litters are born. You can check out the locality pictures at www.localityrosys.com and see if there are any in particular that catch your eye and watch for someone to advertise those localities or even contact Jerry about what he's expecting this year in terms of babies. The pickings seem to be pretty slim now in terms of what's available, but that should change if you can wait a couple of months.

Even though, you're not thinking of breeding right now. I'd still strongly recommend getting a locaity pure animal. Babies of known localities are much easier to sell compared to those of unknown localities or mixed. I got my first rosy with no intention of breeding too. A year later, I changed my mind and was glad that I'd opted for an animal of known locality. If you think you might decide to breed and are only going to get one snake, I'd recommend getting a female. It is best to wait until females are 4 years old before breeding them while males can breed at two years of age. Older females also command a higher price than males and if you decide you want to breed two years down the road, you can pick up a neonate male to raise up and you won't have lost any time

Good luck,
Alice

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Rosy Boa questions. - Sakrafyce, Mon Jul 10 07:06:43 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: Rosy Boa questions. - Sakrafyce, Sun Jul 9 23:08:55 2006