return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Fire-bellied toad turning green again?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Amphibians - General Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: otis07 at Fri Jul 14 13:21:06 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by otis07 ]  

well, sounds like you are doing everything you can. as for the color, i think he will "green up." when i first got mine they were more of an emrald green and now all three are bright bright green. most people don't relize how terrestrail they are, i just have mine in a 10 gallon with a large water dish and they are extremely happy and healthy.

3 in. of water is good, but i wouldn't go any deeper. they like to be in the water, but on a rock or something, not fully submerged in it. thats what i've found out at least. they aren't very messy so your water should stay very clean if you have a filter.

as for UVA and stuff, they actually don't need it in the form of light, as long as you have a good vitiman/calcium supplement that you use don't worry about it. if you really wanted to though, change bulbs every 6-8 months. reptisun 2.0 is a special florescent just for amphibians, but not necessary for most. there are also special plant bulbs, usually like 10$ that work well.

room temp. is good for them, don't let it go below 65F or above 90F. if you want to keep it warm get a glass top, it keeps temp. up and also humidity. but it will also filter out all the bentificial rays your bulbs are giving off, you choice.

i would definitly stick with live crix, the dead ones tend to be a lot less nutricious and you would need to hand feed it cause they only eat things that are moving. i wouldn't use bloodworms either, i used to use those with my newt but it made the water filthy and extremely smelly, plus, they are just nasty. you could try the pellets, you would have to move em' around a little though, they only go for things that are moving. it depends on the frog for mealworms, you would have to "supervise" it cause the mealworms drown if they are even in like 2 mm water, so you might want to "help" your frog eat them. contact me if you have any more questions!!! good luck ps- my fBT's: the tank has been redone so the white isn't showing, just odn't have recent pic.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Fire-bellied toad turning green again? - Paradon, Sun Aug 6 00:53:26 2006

<< Previous Message:  Fire-bellied toad turning green again? - ksbear, Fri Jul 14 12:33:52 2006