return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Painted turtle attacking Red-ear Slider

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Painted Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHRatz at Fri Aug 4 12:25:36 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHRatz ]  

>>BTW, I work for FDA. It might be interesting to some of you to know that the FDA regulates the sale of pet turtles. A rise in the incidence of salmonella in children, usually a food-borne illness, was linked to turtles kept as pets. It was determined that it was from kids putting their hands in their mouths after handling, so they banned the sale of turtles under 6" because it put a big crimp in their popularity as pets. FDA was charged with enforcing the law since we handle food-borne illness issues, but there is no present day enforcement of the law that I am aware of. There was in the beginning, but now there isn't. Turtles are as cute as dickens when newborn, but not as appealing to kiddies when they get bigger. Less pet turtles equaled less salmonella, and so problem "solved," except us enthusiasts are kept from enjoying them at that young age

That's interesting. I know a lot of people who've bought hatchling turtles and then they want the turtle seller shut down. Not because the turtles have made someone sick but because the turtles are sick & it's hard to sit by & watch a turtle not make it because the person didn't realize he or she was buying a sick baby.
Even with vet care hatchlings are difficult to turn around once they're ill so they often don't make it no matter how hard you try to save them.
Nobody in my area can ever get any type of authority to shut down a seller who's selling sick animals. It's like banging your head against a brick wall to get anyone to DO anything about it.
I am half way across the country from you in TX. The enforcement of laws are lax, nobody really cares much.
So much for the 4 inch law...
-----
PHRatz

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Painted turtle attacking Red-ear Slider - marblespc3, Fri Aug 4 15:26:26 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: Painted turtle attacking Red-ear Slider - marblespc3, Thu Aug 3 18:09:29 2006