return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: read this guys...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mountain/Tree Dragons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jobi at Tue Aug 8 03:37:31 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jobi ]  

I really don’t know about the TSD possibilities in gonocephalus and acathosaura species, I have not hatched enough to witness any indication leading to TSD.

However in my opinion the incubation of these species should never be at a constant temperature, the hatchlings on my photo where incubated in the 75f (24c) to 86f (30c) range and hatched at 76 days. I did not aim for a shorter incubation, but was only experimenting the possibilities. I have no intent to hatch them out like pop-corn, my goal is to maximise there inherited development potential.
From my observations of captive lizards and natural habitat, I am now starting to see a pattern of there nesting biology. Until farther observation this must be considered deductive. So pleas be open minded and allow me room for error, nothing is set in stone and this may change eventually, at least to some degree.
I believe these lizards will nest in locations where the sun will hit the grown at least part of the day (1-2-3h??) this allowing a significant raise in temperature 85f-95f easy, the nest slowly lowering temperature to the usual NTL 68f-77f (my case 75f)
This short heat up is important for development, it works in many ways!
First heat accelerate the metabolism of the embryo, this leads to absorption of the yolk witch in turns allows growth of the embryo. Next heat lowers the atmospheric pressure on the eggs, this also allows growth and movement of the embryo, furthermore the relief of atmospheric pressure allows the egg shell to grow, Last a lower pressure allows your eggs to hatch, imagine a baby lizard trying to force its way out when pressure from the outside is working against him, lowering this pressure allows the baby to push it’s way out with little force. Saving energy is vital.
This is why in nature eggs hatch in the rainy season, when low pressure fronts.
Now we as keepers can offer this option to our captives, and never again experience with week babies or fully developed dead embryo, in time I will show you a very simple way of doing this. Meanwhile I have much more to study and experiment.
I hope this was clear for all

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: read this guys... - Shane_R, Tue Aug 8 18:11:50 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: Genetically programmed to produce female - Ingo, Tue Aug 8 01:19:45 2006