return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

thank you!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tegus ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: redmoon at Mon Aug 14 23:18:13 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by redmoon ]  

The vet really isn't an option. It's 45 minutes to my closest reptile vet, and I don't have the money to take it. The staff vet doesn't have any experience with reptiles at all. I say small zoo, and that's pretty much an overstatement. While they claim "hundreds of friendly animals," they in reality have less than 80, including the 30 goats. It's a petting zoo, with a handful of exotics. Check out www.ltanimalpark.com. They over-exaggerate everything they say on the site. He doesn't want to take frozen at all. I'm trying. I'm hoping to get some live rat pups. Anything unweaned, that couldn't put up a fight, and doesn't have teeth anyway.
I have him on newspaper, because I thought it would be better for a quarantine cage. He has some loose crumpled newspaper on top that he "burrows" down under. He has a 75 watt heat lamp during the day, and a heat pad 24/7, reaching around 115 in the hot spot, and keeping it about 80 directly over the heat pad at night.
I was told that the mouth is probably mouthrot. That sounds like a possibility to me. The eye.. I'm still not sure about. That white stuff isn't pus. It's more like skin, with no scales on it.
The dog food didn't sound too apealing to me, but that's what it was eating when it was donated to the park, so I thought that it might eat that, when it's not eating anything else.
I'm soaking it, and it seems like it's perked up a bit from the soaking. Last night, it REALLY enjoyed the soak, and was really active after. He swam around in the tub, and actually climbed up the sides, in and out a couple times.
As you said.. He doesn't look like he's in danger of dieing any day. If I can get him to start eating again, I have frozen rodents for it, and I've got mice starting to breed again, so at that point, he'll get live(or rather, prekilled).

I found out today that the tegu is 11 years old. The man who gave it to the park kept it in a 20 gallon aquarium its entire life, and he had it for 11 years. He got rid of it because it bit his 9 year old child. For 11 years, it ate ONE brand of dog food, and that's all the guy ever fed it. It's a miracle it's even lived this long.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: thank you! - toxicogenic, Tue Aug 15 09:18:47 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: sick tegu in dire need of help - toxicogenic, Mon Aug 14 15:39:34 2006