return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Observation on sleeping habits…

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mountain/Tree Dragons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: froggieb at Tue Aug 15 23:36:53 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by froggieb ]  

I have noticed this. Especially true with the youngest hatchlings. It seems that as they get older the behaviour changes and they move lower to the sturdier branches.

Even my 6-mo-olds seem to have changed this already. I have a slab of cork bark, several branches, nets, and vines. They seem, at this age, to sleep under the leaves in the upper branches now. One will always be on the highest vine but I swear he camps out there 24/7! LOL!!

Your theory on the leaf temperature and basking make good sense. The sun would warm them up kick-starting their day. I'm sure they wouldn't want to remain on the leave like that during the day or they would be easy prey for many birds and other predators. This would give them their daily dose of sunlight/Vit D as well.

Jobi, this forum is slow, always has been. I have been very frusterated with this. When I started there were a lot of regulars here, don't know where they went! since then others have come and gone but it is just slow. I crave information. I need others to bounce ideas off of and others to kick-start my thinking. Instead I end up being the instructor. Not that I mind helping, I think there is a need and heaven knows I don't want to see every beginner killing their dragons. But it is good to have some more advanced keepers interested in this species too. There just aren't that many yet!

There are a few people starting to breed them though and that is a start. If they are going to breed they are going to have to dig deeper too!

-----
Marcia - FroggieB Dragons
www.froggieb.com/MHDHome.html

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Observation on sleeping habits… - damnitbonnie, Wed Aug 16 07:49:18 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: Observation on sleeping habits… - jobi, Wed Aug 16 10:45:15 2006

<< Previous Message:  Observation on sleeping habits… - jobi, Tue Aug 15 22:41:02 2006 image in post