return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: What to do about large reptiles?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rescue Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: eekster at Tue Aug 15 23:28:22 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by eekster ]  

Jesse
I have to disagree with making large constrictors illegal. That would hurt many serious keepers. I know quite a few people that have large constrictors that have been keeping them for years with no plans to get rid of them.

I do agree that alligators are becoming a problem. That should be taken up with the pet shops that make them so readily availible. We have a shop in Chamberburg Pa that will sell an alligator to anyone. Including a child that comes in with $109.00. I have been in there and confronted them many times about this. I've asked them why they would offer such a reptile to the general public. I've yet to get a straight answer. The only warning you get from them when buying a gator is wrote in colorful marker on the 10 gallon tank that houses up to 10 baby gators at times. Is this "we will get 6 to 8 feet long". Which is not true but if you wanna sell them you got to make it look good.

I don't think the answer lies in banning constrictors or crocs. I think the shops should be held accountable for what they sell. Also who they sell it to. There are plenty of people that keep large crocs, constrictors, and monitors. That know what they are dealing with and have planned for the future. Meaning cost of housing and feeding such a reptile. Any ban on these species will hurt alot of people in the reptile comunity.

There are 5 pet shops within 30 minutes of me only 1 sells alligators. If your ever in chambersburg. I can prove it just walk into a shop and comment on gators. You will hear all kinds of flamming about the one shop for selling gators to kids and inbred dogs from the puppy mills. They got a great location so people send there kids over while they shop. The people have no idea since they don't frequent shops. Sicne they are not really into it. They buy reptiles, dogs, and fish for the kids and have no idea what there getting into. It's that oooowww I want one and they get it without thinking it through.

Most shops in our area won't even sell burms and you'll never see a retic or conda. The rock I have for adoption came from another town about an 2 hours from here. It was a mistake on there order.

Well it's late maybe getting a croc or a constrictor should be like getting a fire arm 5 day waiting period or a test of knowledge. Maybe the pet shops that sell these reptiles like hot cakes. Should be fined everytime one turns up at a rescue or in the wild.

ok I'm done. I like the post.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Bearded Dragons - Samcin, Mon Aug 21 15:53:33 2006
<< Previous topic:  Texas reptile rescues? - herp_whisperer, Sun Aug 13 02:12:23 2006