return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Spotted turtle question

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Spotted, Bog & Wood Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: gemsofnewjersey at Sat Aug 19 21:14:58 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by gemsofnewjersey ]  

Keeping males together in small quarters usually leads to agression problems and fighting. Not always, but you have to assume it will. My male spotted turtles do sometimes fight and they are in a decent sized outdoor pond with many females. Either watch them VERY closely, or separate them as soon as you can. My largest male who is just under 6" (YES I do have a HUGE male, might be some kind of record...)and he attacked my second largest male. He bit him on the left side of the top of the head and put a pretty serious gash in him. The turtle then suddenly lost use of it's back legs. I assume it was some sort of brain damage from the bite that caused this. I treated the bite for about 2 weeks and now he is gaining use of his back legs again and is eating voraciously. This is just one of many examples of male agression. Males can also drown one another when attempting to mate each other or displaying signs of dominance. Just be careful.

As for the spotted that is digging.....this is common. Many females do this late in the summer season not always to escape the heat but to search for worms. Yes spotteds are frequently observed foraging on land. They are never far from water and what mine do is drag their prey back to the pond. I have one female that spends half the day in the left corner of the enclosure burried under plants and spends the rest of the day swimming around the lillies. Keep a close watch on your turtle because many sick spotteds will seek dry areas and stay there to die. Spotted turtles with pneumonia and/or respiratory infections commonly do this. If your turtle's eyes are clear, open and are not puffy, pussy or swollen then you should be fine. Check the nose area as well for discharge and make sure he/she is not gasping for air. These are all signs of a potential serious problem. Keep feeding the animal, spotteds can be very stubborn and end up starving themselves.

Not to mention your turtle may be retreating to land due to agression from the others....it may be it's only escape.

Hope this helps.
-Chris

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Spotted turtle question - paulcschmidt, Thu Aug 17 12:18:44 2006