return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Temperature effects on growth...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mountain/Tree Dragons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: theverse at Thu Aug 17 23:58:56 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by theverse ]  

Hello,

I'm not new to the forum, however, I've just recieved my first trio of capra's from marcia the other day. I'm going to start jumping in on these discussions merely for my benefit and others as well.

Now, regarding your interesting topics, I'm going to start very slightly" heating my enclosure" and see what effects this has on the occupants. It does make sense that they will sleep on the upper most leaves to recieve the sun in the morning and the vital D3 these animals need. I've worked with several animals over the years, but from my early viewing of this species from Reptiles Magazine and Marcia's article, it seems I'm all in so to speak now!

I'm a strong advocate for the use of UVB bulbs, and Zoo Med Reptisun is one that I've been using with great results for years. Now this is what I'm interested in trying out. I'm going to use my Tubes in combo now with a small wattage bulb(namely Sylvania), as these have lasted me for long periods in the past. I'm going to start by using this bulb on one side of the enclosure with the tube running the length. I'm interested to see what the growth is like and namely what this does to the appetite of the animals. Keep in mind this is going to be very low watt, just enought to get the top of the cage to an 85 degree basking temp. Thus keeping the ground level at room temp and the higher up the animals travel the warmer they get. Don't you just love heat gradients.

Anyways, this is something that I'm willing to test, and judging from your results Jobi, it looks like it works. Also on a side note: mine have also eaten twice today(as I've only had them for a day). This seems like a great strategy, and keeping with it seems like it should work. It only makes sense that these animals do eat on a regular basis, considering that they are up in the trees, there would be plenty of insects etc. for them to munch up! Just some thoughts..............

All The Best,
Anthony

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Temperature effects on growth... - damnitbonnie, Fri Aug 18 06:42:50 2006

<< Previous Message:  Temperature effects on growth... - jobi, Thu Aug 17 21:04:46 2006 image in post