return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: eating habits

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: fireside3 at Fri Aug 18 16:49:28 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by fireside3 ]  

I think Repto gave a great answer, though I wish to add a couple of things and backup some of what he stated.

Temps and UVB are the first things to confirm. And since you are very new to this lizard, are you stressing him out by crowding him with an audience at dinner time?

I have noticed that prey variety is very important with most captive reptiles I have dealt with, with the exception of snakes. HL's are no different though they may eat more ants than anything else, and I have found they will sometimes tire of too much of one item and no other variety.
I have had this happen a few times where the lizard seems disinterested in ants for a while, and gets excited about crickets, mealworms, or a moth. I have also had a situation like this just after hibernation where the lizard wouldn't eat. I was wondering whether he was sick, should I treat for parasites, was he dehydrated or will I have to force feed him? Then I offered him a few crickets and he ate right away.

It is important to keep track of your HL's defecation in relation to eating habits. If the lizard stops defecating on a regular schedule and then stops eating; impaction should be suspected. In this case I give extra water or saline, and have used a few tiny pinhead size drops of milk of magnesia with success.

Whether your HL is wild caught or captive bred ( but especially wild caught ), you should consider it to have parasites unless previously treated. Nematodes ( roundworms ) can sometimes go unnoticed in fecal exams. Sometimes it is not until treatment and you find dead worms in the scat that it is confirmed. Your HL should be treated orally with liquid Panacur ( fenbendazole aka Safe-Guard ) at 50-100mg per KG body weight. I do this at least twice a year. I usually keep a chart around but if I remember it works out to .005 to .01 ml per 10 grams of body weight. You will have to use a 1 cc/ml syringe that is marked down to at least .01 cc/ml. I get them for .10 each at the vet. Take the lizard to a vet if you are not confident. But take note that in my experience with exotic vets, they are very generalized...The one's I've talked to know less about HL's than most experienced keepers, as they do not see very many I imagine.
-----
"A man that should call everything by it's right name, would hardly pass the streets without being knocked down as a common enemy." The Complete Works of George Savile, First Marquess of Halifax 1912,246

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: eating habits - crust00, Fri Aug 18 21:01:35 2006

<< Previous Message:  eating habits - crust00, Thu Aug 17 21:08:44 2006