return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: This is lime…

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mountain/Tree Dragons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jobi at Sun Aug 27 21:56:45 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jobi ]  

I hope you aren’t confusing fast growth and accelerated growth.

I want to explain this so all can understand, all I do is to provide my lizards with optimum temps and
humidity this accelerates there metabolism and therefore they feed and drink a lot more.
The danger is if you as a provider do not provide enough.

You see most keepers will once in a while skip a feeding or 2 without any adverse consequence, but with a faster metabolising lizard doing this can kill him. Fast metabolising lizards need energy food more and more often, they can feed many times more then other lizards of the same specie, they will grow many times faster too, this is safe and has no side effects whatsoever if you provide. Lizards kept this way will produce many clutches every year and live longer then most lizards you know.

Now a word about accelerated growth, this is about achieving faster growth via hormones and other proteins, this practise is unhealthy and dangerous, animals grown this way do not look healthy, they are mostly obese and do not reproduce, there life expectancies is poor.

Pet shops sell extra large mealworms that are the size of super worms but have been grown on hormones, stay away from this junk food or any other types of food that advertise super growth.

My husbandry is a healthy husbandry, but you must commit to your lizards if you wish for them to perform, my lizards perform as nature intended them to, in favourable weather wild lizards are capable of multiclutching continuously, however mother nature is not always favourable to lizards, so they adapted ways to shut down production until better days.

In captivity we are the providers and can allow them better options, if we run out of food we can also lower the temps and let them shut down if we what.

If this isn’t clear for anyone pleas say so, its important for me that all understand the implication we as keepers have to assume.

Rgds

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: This is lime… - FroggieB, Sun Aug 27 23:10:36 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: This is lime… - FroggieB, Sun Aug 27 21:01:12 2006