return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

About egg production....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mountain/Tree Dragons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jobi at Sun Aug 27 22:48:23 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jobi ]  

Pleas pay attention here as I will reveal things you may not know or understand yet.

Option no1
Usually egg production starts with a healthy female, if the resources (food,heat,water) available to her are low she will produce little or not at all. This is simple enough to understand.

Option no2
Now lets say it’s a good year and life is blooming, plants and insects every where in profusion, this same female will have plenty to support for egg production and will lay a large clutch, so far this is easy to understand.

Option no3
Now this female is in your care, you are providing her with all the best options she can ever hope for, let’s see what happens?
But first let me remind you that your husbandry skills are still at option no1 and you are still not fully understanding option no3 yet, but you will soon enough.
Ok this female is starting to cycle at regular intervals like clockwork, she is so constant that you can predict her nesting day, this in turns allows you fine tune your husbandry furthermore (nesting options).

When you feel like your at the top of your game, that you know all about breeding your dragons, then you realise its only the beginning.

Option no4
Many years ago I opened up one producing female, I was amassed to see a full clutch of ¾ developed ovum’s next to an other cultch of tiny little developing ovum’s, I remember thinking how exceptional this female was to be producing 2 alternative clutches at the same time, this meant that by the time she would have nested the second clutch would have been at least ¾ in size if not more?

Then it occurred to me that this female was the lest productive in a trio, what about the most prolific female in the trio? I just needed to know, sorry for those this may offend but be warned I study reptiles and don’t see them as pets like most of you guys, so pleas forgive me if this is to much for you.
I dissected the Alfa female the day she nested and sure enough she was nursing 2 more clutches, first was ¾ in size and the other was 1/8 in size both numbering in the 20s.

Sins then I understood that all is related to support, lizards have amazing abilities far beyond what we expect from them.
This information you will not find anywhere, at least not that I know about, I am reserving this for my up coming publication. But now that you know about this, can you see the possibilities?

Rgds

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: About egg production.... - FroggieB, Sun Aug 27 23:23:33 2006