return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: I hate to post this!!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: fireside3 at Tue Aug 29 23:49:54 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by fireside3 ]  

I will admit that I would not describe myself as a particularly social person. Perhaps my lack of small talk skills and getting right to the point about things lends itself to being misinterpreted as maliciousness instead of directness and honesty. But this is not exactly a "full-duplex" back and forth talk. Anyone who talks to me one on one gets my meaning much better. I've often thought that's the reason I am drawn to reptiles. For the inherent simple logic that comes from their design and instincts. They are efficient and do what is in their best interest, never wasting their efforts on illogical pursuits...doing what is unnecessary.
I certainly don't mean to be a "meanie". I'm much more concerned that someone has the skill than I am whether they have a permit to have that HL. I'll let them know the legalities and other issues anyway, but that doesn't mean I won't help. I just think strongly that they should be responsible and informed beforehand. I'll discourage keeping whenever I think someone doesn't have the skill or the time to get the skill. Truth is, those people shouldn't keep, and that needs to be said. But I never refuse help. I may just be a little more "honest" and "encourage" them a little more than some. Some people are put off because I'll do things like say "cornutum" instead of Texas HL to them. Or use other words they don't know yet. This is because I know if they're serious, they'll do some "google" on their own and be forced to learn something...not relying on people on a forum to walk them through every little thing when they have a question. This is what people did to me.

You'll always get the bad news truth from me, but if you can get over being initially offended by it, it will probably help you.
-----
"A man that should call everything by it's right name, would hardly pass the streets without being knocked down as a common enemy." The Complete Works of George Savile, First Marquess of Halifax 1912,246

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: I hate to post this!!! - fireside3, Tue Aug 29 21:26:50 2006