return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: fireside3

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Cable_Hogue at Sun Sep 3 23:21:52 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Cable_Hogue ]  

To each his own Fireside. I respect your precise communication, but if I choose to be less dedicated to the study of your posts I hope you'll forgive. I've been keeping solare for over 3 years now and have lost only one (excluding some young hatchling fatalities) which died after laying eggs. This was due to some kind of physical trauma which caused a paralysis during the egg laying process.
I have seen on rare occasion a pin worm excreted in stool. There are several types of worms that might infest an HL host. The most common is not the type that would attach on a permanent basis. The life cycle of this pin worm depends on being eaten by ants after being expelled by the HL, so that it's eggs are then passed to the lizard again through the ants. A clean habitat can reduce the recurrence, but ants from the wild (basically all the ants we feed our HL's) are potential carriers of new eggs, so this is a recurring issue for most HL's over their lifetime.
I am curious what your experience has been either with or without the medications in the various HL's you keep?

I'm all for study of effects and I agree with Lou that this should be explored. But I don't necessarily agree that it should be thrown out on this forum for the inexperienced to try. I have talked with vets who handle reptiles and they are nervous to treat HL's. Also, HL's have somewhat delicate mouths, and prying them open by any means certainly adds considerably to the stress of the lizard. I respect Lou and his long years of experience in treating lizards. If he says he has had success with treating HL's then I consider it valuable information. Again, his method is less stressful or likely to cause damage.

I think it would be very beneficial for Lester and others to provide some insight. Lester, I know you have many years of experience with HL's directly. Care to comment?
-----
Phrynosoma.Com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: fireside3 - fireside3, Sun Sep 3 23:56:46 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: fireside3 - fireside3, Sun Sep 3 22:19:55 2006