return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Good Story!!!! Pics!!!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Fat-tailed Geckos ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: fattiesnleos at Sat Sep 9 02:49:48 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by fattiesnleos ]  

I wanted to share a happy story about my little gecko named Vegas. Vegas is a het albino african fat tailed gecko that i bought in Las Vegas at a reptile show. we drove all the way from san diego CA. we got this girl in hopes of breeding her and she weighed a little over 50 grams.

we introduced her to one of my males, Zeek, but she never became gravid. we gave up and a few months later she stopped eating, rapidly started loosing weight, and her abdomin became greatly swollen to larger then her own head!!

I took her to the vet hrs away and he suggested an antibiotic which had no effects on the swollen mass and it kept getting bigger. the DVM told me that the only way to figure out what was going on inside her belly was to have surgery. he said also the only other thing i could do would be to hand feed her which i did, baby food and vanilla ensure. finally after about another 2 months i thought she would surly POP! i called the vet to ask about how much the surgery would cost, he said about $200. i was shocked and thought it would be more!

i immediately scheduled her for surgery!! she pulled through the surgery and i took her home. she had two swollen ovaries the size of thumbs that had to be removed!! needless to say poor little Vegas is now infertile but alive. since she has been home, 2 or more months, i have had to continue with the hand feeding EVERY SINGLE NIGHT!! as of 2 days ago she finally started to eat crickets!! 5 the first night and 9 the second night and continueing on tonight!

i have attached pictures, the first is prior to any health problems and the others are after surgery where you can see the scar on her little belly (tonight). sorry i dont have any pictures of her when she was swollen but it was unimaginable!!
she is only around 40 grams right now but i expect her to gain weight rapidly.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Good Story!!!! Pics!!!! - ginebig, Sat Sep 9 03:04:17 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: That was a nice ending , :0) - PHEve, Sun Sep 10 14:43:48 2006