return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Timber vs. Canebrake

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: justinian2120 at Tue Sep 19 17:31:49 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by justinian2120 ]  

i dunno about that-regardless of what we call them from fla. to texas to new hampshire-yellow rattlers,velvet rattlers,velvet tails,canebrakes,timbers,black rattlers-what you have is a species that has two-maybe three- niches/clades/whatever;north,south,and perhaps west,though this last group seems to have a less clearly defined dilineation from the former two than they do from each other.i don't know too much about the western populations(and have precious little first hand experience with the southerns as well)-but i sure can see plenty justification for at least separating the southern from the northern/montanes(i.e. timbers and canebrakes seperate subsp. again)....
more often than not,i am moreso a 'lumper' than a 'splitter'-but i mean really,one has to wonder how can these be considered less different from each other than,say, such 'valid' subspecies as your triangulum,getula,or what about the black racer,in which the northern and southerns can only be differentiated from each other if they are males(difference in just the hemipenes)?...this being the taxonomic 'order of the day',then i just don't see how they should be considered one and the same.not talking about appearences,but just totally different habits/niches/ecosystems they occur in.
that being said i remember beign told that,i believe thru mitochondrial dna testing,the timbers in south jersey-the pine barrens-were,genetically speaking,most closely related to those along the gulf coast area,i beleive louisiana-very surprising...i don't claim to be an expert on these amazing,facinating snakes,but man i find them to be one of the most intruiging species in our country.
-----
"with head raised regally,and gazing at me with lidless eyes,he seemed to question with flicks of his long forked tongue my right to trespass on his territory" Carl Kauffeld

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Timber vs. Canebrake - wildtropics, Tue Sep 19 22:06:35 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: Timber vs. Canebrake - wildtropics, Thu Sep 14 22:37:12 2006