return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

North Carolina Senate Bill 1032

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Gila & Beaded Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: tdk at Wed Sep 13 07:38:12 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tdk ]  

I would first like to ask why and where does Senator Garwood's research come from to support each and every animal he intends to ban, permit or insure (looks like a "cookie-cutter" bill). Permits and insurance reek of more dollars each citizen has to pay. I'm tired of government passing laws under the guise of protecting me, the public, but it just keeps coming.

I am a small business owner and one of my interest has always been reptiles. Most people have an irrational fear of snakes and would rather kill them than have them in their presence. All snakes (reptiles) are beneficial. I have friends that I have tried to convince for years not to kill any snake on their property but to know avail because of their fear (ignorance). Other I have had come get me to remove a Copperhead and a Rattlesnake from the yard and street and return to the neighboring National Forest. Most of us that have kept reptiles have done so because of a deep interest and a respect for them as well as other animals. We have spent hundreds of hours researching and keeping these animals since we were children. Some of even go into related fields of study. But what makes us professional is not a degree but our interest we have in keeping and studying these animals.

I would like to see statistics printed, for all of us interested in these animals, especially the reptiles, to compare (validate) them with dog bite/deaths in the United States, listed below, and see how they compare and to show these concerns are unwarranted in comparison. On a recent show on animals I was surprised to find that deer contributed to the most human deaths in the U. S. because of collisions with cars, I was sure it would be dogs. This must be the reason we return the favor by killing them each year hunting them. Horses ranked high as well but I don't see you proposing to ban them. Let's be fair and reasonable and not pass laws because of a few people's concerns/fears or because of an activist group said "Boo".

---In 2001, an estimated 68 million dogs were pets in the U.S. and an estimated 368,245 humans were victims of dog bite related injuries and children ages 5 to 9 had the highest related injuries. 42% of those bitten were children 14 years of age and younger--154,625 victims.

---From 1979 through 1996, dog attacks resulted in more than 300 human deaths in the U. S. Most were children!

---It has been estimated that about 4.5 million people (nearly 2% of the American population) are bitten by dogs each year. In 1994, of the estimated 4.5 million people bitten by dogs, 800,000 south medical care. Of these , 332,000 sought treatment in emergency rooms, and 600 were hospitalized. In 1994, hospital charges for dog bite victims was an estimated $62.5 million, emergency room charges estimated at $102.4 million and direct medical charges incurred as a result of dog bites was
estimated at $164.9 million. (Source www.dogbitelegalcenter.com/resources/dogbite-statistics.html)

If legislation needs to protect us it looks like you need to spend much more time on dogs and dog owners and not on the animals on this list because dogs are inherently dangerous animals (in your terms). I personally feel like I think most Americans feel that legislature's time and our money would be better spent on more important issues such as education, soaring insurance and energy costs and especially illegal immigration that is costing our country at an alarming and increasing rate and our security.

Please take this into consideration and do the right thing--don't pass this unnecessary bill. I challange you to do your research and compare you'll find it's unwarranted. Let me know what you find and please respond back. Last year not one of you did.

Sincerely, T. Kelley

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  exo-terra 18x18x24 help with waterfall - krowleey, Tue Sep 19 00:36:58 2006
<< Previous topic:  Bedding/Substrate - tdk, Fri Sep 8 10:52:27 2006