return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Dear mr Blain…

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mountain/Tree Dragons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jobi at Fri Sep 29 14:56:16 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jobi ]  

This is how started an email I got from Germany, it was sent by a zoo employee that has been trying to breed capra’s for years, with no results.
The gentlemen went on and explained how they housed them in large planted displays with all the fancy and expensive lighting systems and sprinklers. He said that after reading most of my posts, he and fellow keepers came to the conclusion that I was either delusionated or very good, he thinks that I am not sharing every thing that leads to my success (this is very true, I will explain why later) he then asked me politely if I could give him information’s that he and his colleges will understand and mostly will allow them to progress. I will try to do this now but I don’t know if anyone will pick up on this or not, as I cant seem to get thru all of the bad husbandry practise that has been implanted on us by literature.

Ok hear goes!
Yes its true that I don’t say every thing on these forums, the reason is simple, most of you would not understand, and some would take me for an idiot, in the past many have slandered me for sharing my work, these are peoples that don’t know me from Adam, yet they didn’t understood and made a fool of me.

The photo shows how I set up pairs or trio for breeding, it’s a basic 6-3-3feet cage with only one 65w flood as both heat and light, nothing else! No heat matt, no ceramic nothing. The cages is closed so it keeps hydrated 50-80% I don’t really bother about it.

This cage is lined with wood chips, cheep easy to change and ordinary hard wood chips.

No plants, no foliage, no hiding simply a few easy to access branches.
Why so little? Because when hiding lizards do not bask, lizards that do not bask don’t get there metabolism going, they are in slow mode, slow mode is no good when breeding is your goal. Slow mode is terrible for the immune system.

These lizards you see, spend the day basking and running around this cage, they jump run each other and search for food all day long, they have no fear of what’s behind the next tree of leaf as they see the entire domain, they even see me coming from across the room, so no stress at all, nothing that keeps them from heating feeding drinking all they want and when they need.

They actually bask at 120-130f and love it, if I was to advertise these temps most would not believe me, many would try to discourage you from even trying this type of husbandry, they would advise you on the foggers and hides and extra-ORDINARY bulbs and then when your lizards start going down death valley, they blame the bad parasites.

Did you know that in the last 7 years I haven’t treated a single reptile in at least 600 heads and have lost only one to an ulcer, don’t go thinking that I always get the good looking animals, most I get on discount because the dealer thinks they will die.

So hear you have it, I really don’t know how to make any of my husbandry simpler.
Oh yes I do use rep-cal d3 however I do not use vitamins because as in humans vitamins supplements are a myth, we get all we need from vegetables and fruits, feeder insects get all your lizard needs from the good food you feed them.

Best regards and hope you all do better with your captives.

Ps. I get many emails every day, the most common comments I get are about me being radical in my methods, my experience is perceived as theories, my posts ridicule but interesting, sorry but I will let you peoples figure it out on your own from now on.

No need for the hate mails, I am closing my account.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Dear mr Blain… - Shane_R, Fri Sep 29 16:00:29 2006