return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: desert horned lizard

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: reptoman at Tue Oct 3 17:03:49 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by reptoman ]  

RK-I don't if you talking to me or to someone else, I am not sure about the "experiment part" you refer too--but ants have been well documented to be the main food sourve for most horned lizards. If you have been to the Phrynosoma site there is quite a bit of information on ants and which species are larger ant eaters than opthers and these results did come from scientific study. Also if you have keept horned lizards for 20 to 30 years and captured them in the wild one only needs to look at the scat and determine that ants are primarily the insect of choice for most species. I feed mine small crickets every once in awhile but prefer mini-mealworms or a wax worm to crickets as I believe there are some that are sold on the market that are not healthy. It is true that Hl's, ants and nematodes seem to go together.... I'm not doubting your analysis of crickets one bit, but if ants are the prime insect of choice and I can provide ants, then I do. I don't know how many species of Hl's you have successfully kept for more than three or four years or if you have had the pleasure of breeding them, and there are some people that are pretty died in the dirt about not feeding their horned lizards ants and trying to find an alternative. IF they are successful, then great, but many of the people on the forum have also come to the conclusion by observation and exchange of information that life cycles and breeding of these animals do seem to be better in the long run with ants. While I am not sure you were addressing me, I think you can find enough scientific and personal experience over years to support ants. Certianly your at your discreation to do as you choose, but when I am dealing with someone that hasn't been involved with Hl's I am recommending ants always and the committment to long time care. Best to you.......
-----
Phrynosoma.org

______

signature file edited.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: desert horned lizard - fireside3, Wed Oct 4 00:26:06 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: desert horned lizard - rkhorne, Tue Oct 3 10:16:35 2006