return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Month old DHL Q's

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Cable_Hogue at Wed Oct 4 12:27:35 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Cable_Hogue ]  

I like the powersun and use the 160. You just have to have a large enough tank to dissipate the heat it generates to keep the temps reasonable.
A little humidity at times is good for them. In their native habitat they have summer rains and get quite humid at times. YOu just don't want it so bad or for so long you get mold growing.

See if you can't find a rock with a shallow bowl shape. Place it slightly toward the back but near (not directly under) the hotter part of your lamp. Get a spray bottle at the hardware store and fill it. I keep mine near the edge of the tank by the light so it warms up slightly beyond room temp. After feeding in the morning or evening spray the rock with a direct stream. This will splash the HL's and the glass on the side and back of the tank. Once they get pretty wet they'll start drinking. Keep it up for a few minutes, shifting to a finer mist spray once they are drinking and spray them directly. Also fill the "bowl" in the rock so it makes a small puddle. If the rock is close to the light your HL should climb up on it and will usually sit in the puddle and wallow, soaking it up.
This is the most natural way I've found to present a drink to my hl's and my hatchlings love it. They will often drink the droplets on the side of the tank too. As they roll down the glass they attract the attention of the hl's.
I do this every other day for hatchlings and twice a week for adults. Keep your tank clean or it will smell pretty bad when you spray it. You want to use bottled water as tap water is often hard and alkaline. It's just a hunch, but I think this can upset the acidic balance of the HL's digestive system.
Good luck sir!
-----
Phrynosoma.Com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Month old DHL Q's - fireside3, Wed Oct 4 15:09:26 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: Month old DHL Q's - toadhead, Wed Oct 4 10:43:03 2006