return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: By the way…have you noticed?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mountain/Tree Dragons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Ryan2691 at Tue Oct 10 20:36:10 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Ryan2691 ]  

I just put some oak leaves in with Dixie. I was going to wait until I was sure she was gravid, but now I think she is! She hasn't gotten darker, but I have caught her digging. Marcia, I told you about it, a few weeks ago she dug a little, and then stopped. Then, today I caught her scratching around a little. Then she went to an area by the water dishes, and I think she was surveying it for a nest.

The area is actualy inset into the land, by about two inches, due to waterdishes on two of the four sides. The other two sides are the wall of the Viv. So she has a nice secure little area, the only problem is the substrate there is not suitable for digging.

So, then I dug a hole and filled it in with shreds of freshly picked oak leaves, I'll see how that works. I also temporarily heated the nesting area that she had dug in a few times, I'll see if she seems more interested in the area if it is a little warmer.

But now I want to bring up something I found interesting. Dixie is corontata, as I have come to believe, and she is staying with a male capra, Zhepher. I don't think they seem interested in each other, but Ihave noticed both times Dixie started to dig, Zhepher goes down and messes with her. I'm not sure exactly what he does, but whatever it is, it is interfering with the nesting process.

I don't think it is a problem yet, but has anyone ever noticed this before, males messing with females trying to lay?

-----
Ryan

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: By the way…have you noticed? - FroggieB, Tue Oct 10 21:03:23 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: By the way…have you noticed? - FroggieB, Tue Oct 10 18:37:00 2006