return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Scooter may get that tank I want yet

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mud & Musk Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHRatz at Sat Oct 14 17:47:19 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHRatz ]  

>>Good luck. I'd give you my 40 breeder except it doesn't hold water anymore (would have to have silicone ripped out and redone on the inside) and I doubt you'd like the shipping cost halfway across the country LOL...assuming it survived being shipped ROFL.
>>

I wouldn't count on it surviving cross country. LOL
Thanks but since it could still be useful to you for I dunno say a small lizard, a frog, crab, something.. you may need it one day.

>>Not too long ago we got an eastern mud in from a rehabber. The turtle had been run over... shell is crushed - about 40% of it. He definitely can't go back to the wild. There was some bad nerve/spinal damage. He mostly drags himself around with his front legs...very rarely does he use the back legs. So this weekend I've been refurbishing a 55 gallon tank for him (& he'll have a stinkpot for company). I siliconed a piece of plexi in place to divide the land and water areas. In deference to the mud turtle's problem, it's only gonna have a water depth of no more than 4 inches. I will be using a few paving bricks (the kind that are half the height of a normal brick) for easy stepping stones in the water area so the mud can get to the surface easy for air. I also created a handicap ramp out of another piece of plexi. I then got creative with the ramp... I smeared silicone all over the one side and then used a plastic spoon to smack the silicone to create rough 'peaks' all over it. Then I covered it in sand so that there is (or should be) a permenant textured surface. Even if the sand doesn't stick in the long run, the peaks in the silicon should create a surface that is easy to grip that the turtle should be able to pull himself up it onto land using just his front legs. Tomorrow I'm gonna check the seals to make sure the water doesn't seep into the land side, then I'll fill in the land area. Still gotta get a small under water filter for the water area.

That sounds really creative. Better than what I did. I bought Scooter a... shoot can't remember the brand name..Kordon??
anway it's a clear plastic ramp with green tread on it ramp goes one way the basking area kind of another.
Well the way it's built is too narrow for his wider body & so it didn't work at all. I stuck it in the painted's 55g under the water surface, he LOVES that thing b/c he can sleep on it while underwater but he only has to move his little head to get a drink of air LOL!

Do you have pictures of the poor injured mud? You know I always want pics.
-----
PHRatz

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Scooter may get that tank I want yet - phwyvern, Sat Oct 14 17:09:54 2006