return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: A couple of questions...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Photography Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: chrish at Mon Oct 23 14:39:24 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by chrish ]  

1) Is there a book out there that would be useful to a novice to photography but would also help me after I’ve picked up the basics and want to learn more about macro-photography and the nuances of digital cameras?

My favorite book on closeup photography is John Shaw's Closeups in Nature. It costs less than $15 on Amazon and is worth every penny. However, the book was written in 1987, prior to the development of digital cameras. Therefore it focuses on film SLRs. However, it is still a great reference! I have read it half a dozen times, and still pull it off the shelf for reference all the time.

There aren't any good books that I have seen that cover macro photography for digital point and shoot cameras. The principles of macro photography that Shaw outlines will apply to any camera however.

2) I’m currently using a Canon fixed lens camera (PowerShot A70) and I’m having a lot of trouble finding a good compromise between too much light (sunlight or flash) and too little (indirect sunlight or room light). A friend of mine said I should use a diffuser with natural sunlight.

There are two problems here. In the first shot, the flash is too powerful. You need to try and apply some flash exposure compensation. Under the function menu on your camera there is an exposure compensation adjustment (it is labeled plus/minus 0). Try setting the exposure compensation to minus 2/3 stop or minus 1 stop. That might reduce the flash power output enough to give more even lighting.
Making a diffuser out of some white plastic milk carton material or something similar (tissue paper works fine) might help a little, but you need to reduce the output of the flash in camera if you can.

A diffuser with natural sunlight would work as well, but you should be able to take flash photos without them being overexposed.

In the second shot, there isn't enough light to get a sharp photo. You shutter speed in this case (1/8th of a second) prevented you from getting a sharp photo. You need more light. Maybe turning on an overhead light might help, although you might need to adjust the white balance.
-----
Chris Harrison
San Antonio, Texas

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: A couple of questions... - jfirneno, Mon Oct 23 17:59:12 2006

<< Previous Message:  A couple of questions... - jfirneno, Sun Oct 22 21:00:34 2006