return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Hey....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Anoles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: rustyrules at Sun Oct 29 01:53:04 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rustyrules ]  

Hi Kelly,
Unfortunately, I know the lizards were all enclosed in the lanai, and had no chance to escape because they came out right after the guy left - before I'd even had a chance to clean the stuff up , and the door was closed at this point (w/ the new bully now enclosed w/ them). It made me ill to see Rusty climbing right onto the hose, still wet w/ pesticide. I quickly opened the door & she ran away, but I'm sure her underbelly & hands & feet came into direct contact w/ the spray.

I went to a pet store today and spoke w/ a man who happened to know a great deal about the brown anoles here and their habits. He told me that, no matter what the exterminator may say, if a spray is lethal enough to kill insects, it can be lethal to the lizards as well. I’m still holding out hope that they are just in hiding, but I fear the worst.

Since the mass disappearance, as mentioned, I’ve seen only 3 lizards at varying times – the bully, a half-size young female, and a teeny female, approx. 1.25”L (not incl. tail). Even though it was only in the mid 70s today & cloudy, that teeny, skinny baby girl was out on the pavers having a grand old time eating bugs for quite a long while, as was the half-size. After my simulated rainstorm w/ hose yesterday we had a good, hard rain courtesy of Mother Nature last night, so maybe that helped the bug population - the lizards find lots of tasty bug action in the cracks of the pavers, where water collects. I think the 3 I’ve seen since Tue. must have somehow escaped the spray (maybe they were so deep into the plantings it did not reach them?) The little one is so small, I’m sure she would have been extremely vulnerable to the spray, if exposed. Because this little one, who has no meat on her bones, can enjoy herself outside in mid 70s overcast weather (and she was her normal color, not dark or stressed), I’m pretty sure the others would be out there too, - if they were still alive & well. I really miss my favorites, especially Rusty – they are like pets to me and I am very sad that they are MIA. Just in case they are still in there hiding somewhere, I took the your advice and placed blobs of peach baby food all over the place (as deep into the plantings as I could get), and I also read online that fruity Pedialyte can provide sustenance, so I placed little jar lids filled w/ that , as well as containers of plain water, all through the plantings. Maybe this is all for naught, but I have to explore every avenue I can to help my buddies, if they are still in there. Thanks again for all your helpful advice – I really appreciate it.

I am encouraged by the presence of the 2 young females (Glory & Micki), and still hold out hope that someday I’ll see Rusty, Mini Me, & the others again.
RR

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  So Sorry..... - kellybee, Sun Oct 29 12:36:03 2006

<< Previous Message:  Hey.... - kellybee, Sat Oct 28 08:51:47 2006