return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Diet Experiment Collaboration?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Jeff Judd at Fri Oct 27 17:09:03 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Jeff Judd ]  

Lou,
I too am curious if their is something in ants that HLs require. I'm not so sure their is. It's true HLs have adapted to eat numerous small prey and the ability to withstand venom but this is probably because their is less competition for this food source not because they require the ants. Many people thought HLs required formic acid but this was proven false. Most the ant species HLs feed on don't contain formic acid.

In my case and many others I speak with find it to be much cheaper to feed ants than to buy crickets all the time. In most areas their is usually an ant species safe for HLs to eat and they can be collected free of charge. So I don't think it would be economical to use crickets.

I personally would like to run an experiment to see what diet captive HLs do the best on. If you have raised hatchlings you should know they are very intemidated by ants. Mine don't even eat that many ants even though they are very small but they go nuts over the pinheads. Some species do really well on mini mealworms making up most the diet but this is species specific. I recently found out P. cornutum does not do well on the mini mealworms.
Dogsand cats didn't feed on bagged food before they were domesticated. Their should be nothing wrong with people trying to find the best diets for captive HLs. To experiment on varied diets is beneficial. I have personally found my HLs stay much healthier on a varied diet rather than a strictly ant diet with the exception of P. solare. They do fine on a high ant diet

Also I wanted to add I have a group of young HLs that eat50 % crickets and 50 % crickets. When I crush their scats it looks like they eat 100% ants because the soft bodied crickets have been digested. Analyis of the gut content is the only way to accrutely measure the percentage of ants. Just some thoughts but all in all I think a study to find out what diet is best for HLs in captivity is greatly needed.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Diet Experiment Collaboration? - reptoman, Fri Oct 27 21:53:13 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: Diet Experiment Collaboration? - fireside3, Sun Oct 29 05:04:07 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: Diet Experiment Collaboration? - reptoman, Fri Oct 27 14:40:41 2006