return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Diet Experiment Collaboration?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: reptoman at Wed Nov 1 15:32:27 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by reptoman ]  

R.K. I am ready to get off of this conversation because of the tenor it took. Yes I made a comment that could have been taken as a put down, but it wasn't--it was just observation based on years of experience with respect to nature. So I am going to continue to recommend ants and yes a mixture of occasional insects as I stated before. Actually I can appreciate your perpective and opassion, I would definately explore including having a 3 or 4 year old non-ant diet animal medically comapred to a ant fed specimen to see if there has been any degredation to the organs by this.

Now I am not a scientist but I am very much an observer and reader R.K. And while your primise is fine with me--I do want to say that most of the sudy's (scientific) and observations (Go back to hobart M. Smith or before Ditmars, etc.) have all observed that "in the wild" ants are one of the or the prefered meal of horned lizards to a more or less degree depending on specie. I assume if you've been raised in our school systems then you may or probably accept evolution as a viable model, if I am wrong correct me--but given the scientific method, I would think you could not just cast away the evolutionary and natural history facts about these lizards?

I think if you read Richard Montinucci or even look at previous posts from one of our best authorities on Hl's (Dr. Lester Milroy III) I think you'd have to at least admit that there opinions were formed by science as well. Lester works for the state of California as a biologist and Hl's is his specific expertise - in California he's the man or at least one of them anyway.

Also some of the stuff you alude to at the web-site as a good start, but maybe that it's not scientific, if you look at the ant chart and species that is scientific completely. I think it's good to have people such as yourself willing to challenge or come with new ideas. Many of us have heard this before but the fact that you want to take it to a higher level is good, I just don't want you to throw away the baby with the bathwater because actually the burden of proof is on you...

So now if I can be of assistance or help with some ideas about the protcols and end result goals that might be considered I would be glad to help, I think this is my last post because I am more interested in learning at 56 I am still teachable, also one last thing how many years have you been into horned lizards and also what state do you hail from? I am from Texas now but spent much of my life in California. Cheers!
-----
Phrynosoma.org

______

signature file edited.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Diet Experiment Collaboration? - rkhorne, Wed Nov 1 10:56:29 2006