return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Rookie questions...pls

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to California Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Fatman608 at Thu Nov 2 14:51:55 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Fatman608 ]  

After forcing my son to do research when he stated he wanted a boa as a pet...he came back to me a week later and had changed his (excited) mind to a kingsnake. As I grew up in Cali and saw them often I thought cool. I joined in on the research...
We bought a 15" striped cali male. He is awesome and a real cool snake. Great eater and is now burrowed deep and hiding big time as he is due to shed anytime.
He's in a 10 gallon tank with a small (4X8) heat pad on one side. He has a nice hide on both the warm and cool sides. My son has put coco-husk on the hot side and Aspen on the other ( he likes the look and wanted to see if the snake preferred one to the other)
Questions:
The substrate is about 1.5 - 2 inchers deep...is this too deep? We know they like to burrow but will we ever see him?

With the hot pad on one side do we need to deal with themometers? I've read conflicting posts

Will/can the snake go into a self-brumation on the cool side?

Where can I find explantations of the 3.0.0 or 1.0 etc etc that most posters on this (and other sites) use when listing their families? It's driving me nuts trying to figure out

Thanks
John and Nick

First I want to thank you for having your son do research on the snake he wanted. The depth of the substrate is good. I would get a cheap therometer to check the temp. You need to know if you have to much or to little substrate. The substrate will act like insulation so you need to know the temp at the level of the substrate. Do not forget a water dish. And, no you will not see him much if he is like my Cali Kings, until he gets older or bigger. From the first year or year and a half all mine do is hide in the aspen or in the hide.

3.2.1 means the breeder has 3 males, 2 females, 1 unsex.

4.2 means the breeder has 4 males, 2 females

Hope this helps
Fatman

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Rookie questions...pls - jscnlc, Thu Nov 2 16:18:06 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: Rookie questions...pls - jscnlc, Thu Nov 2 16:19:53 2006

<< Previous Message:  Rookie questions...pls - jscnlc, Wed Nov 1 17:48:46 2006