return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

My redfoot is a picky eater...help...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Red & Yellow Foot Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: wildcatbonk at Fri Nov 3 14:11:25 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by wildcatbonk ]  

I have two cherryhead redfoots and one is an extremely picky eater - almost never eats the greens I provide for her (I have tried romaine, collard, and mustard on a rotating basis). When I mix an apple, pumpkin, or strawberry in with the greens, she picks those out and leaves the greens behind (she also does not seem to be a big fan of carrots, in case that is relevant). When I provide just greens, she will often ignore them and not eat for a couple of days. She also seems to be against eating the food out of the tray, so I have to strategically place the food throughout the terrarium for her and hope that she eats it when it blocks her path. Strangely, there have been a couple of times when she will completely ignore fresh, wet greens that I have put in the terrarium in favor of a dried up, old leaf that I neglected to remove from a day or so earlier.

Her sister will eat anything placed in front of her, in any quantity and under any circumstances, which makes me confident that there is nothing wrong with the food or their living conditions to cause a loss of appetite (and yes I have tried separating them when eating, but with no more favorable results).

I took the picky eater to the vet just a few weeks ago and she came out with a clean bill of health. The vet had no advice besides to ensure the food is cold and wet when it is served (which is ironic since she goes for the dried up stuff).

In general I am looking for advice or thoughts on two items:

--Has anyone else had a similar problem and managed to overcome it? Your pearls of wisdom are kindly requested.

--From everything I have learned, read and gathered, greens are an integral part of a redfoot's diet. What happens if she is only eating the fruits and other veggies I am providing? Right now I would say her diet is about 25% greens and 60% fruit and 15% other vegetables.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: My redfoot is a picky eater...help.. - AndrewFromSoCal, Fri Nov 3 15:00:47 2006